Parkinson's Disease is certainly mystifying. As I read some of the recent
notes I see many of you listing environmental exposure that you feel might
have caused your PD. Yet, before I retired, I was a Chemical Engineer and
spent large amounts of time in chemical and petrochemical plants of all types
in all parts of the world, as well as oil refineries, cement mills, pulp and
paper mills, textile plants, metal processing plants, power plants - both
fossil and nuclear, and etc. During my college days we used virtually every
noxious and toxic chemical and some of the radioactive and many of the heavy
metals in our lab work. When I was a child I was a chemical "nut" and played
with chemistry sets from the age of 7 on. I also had bottles of mercury and
played with it with my hands. Later I worked in the Instrumentation industry
where we made and used mercury manometer type flowmeters and the filling and
calibration of these meters involved exposure to mercury. I have a goodly
number of mercury amalgam fillings, and also was a smoker for a good number
of years.
 Yet, in spite of all of the above, did I get PD? No, at least not yet. And
of all my friends who were Chemical Engineers, Chemists, or workers in the
industries that I mentioned above, only one had PD and he spent most of his
working life in an oil refinery. However, my wife to whom NONE of the above
experiences apply did get PD. This is certainly one very confusing disease!

Jerry Gleason     ([log in to unmask])