The following messages were exchanged on Prodigy.

Board:      MEDICAL SUPPORT BB
Topic:      NEUROLOGICAL
Subject:    PD-DEMAROL

To:     MXWW92A    BEV STEWARD           Date:    01/06
From:   WKSP90A    EDWIN PARTRIDGE       Time:     7:31 PM

Hi Bev -- I just received your package on planning for
hospitalization. I noticed with interest that you had added
Demarol to the APDA's list of drugs that are contraindicated
with Parkinson's Disease. I am curious about your reason for
doing this.
  I have read that Demarol is related to MPTP, the substance
that afflicted the Californian addicts with parkinsonian
symptoms. I have refused since I learned about this to allow
Demarol to be used as a pain killer.
  About three years ago, after a traumatic hernia operation,
Demarol was used on me as a pain killer. It was not long
after that I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, along
with a number of other health problems that had developed. I
asked, why are all these things happening to me? The
neurologist said that Parkinson's Disease frequently
developed after an auto accident or other trauma, and that
probably the trauma of the hernia operation had triggered my
Parkinson's disease.
  When you think about it, it's after an operation, or auto
accident, or other trauma, that they give you Demarol as a
pain killer. Could it be that it is the Demarol that causes
or aggravates the parkinsonian conditions?
  Maybe not, but why take the risk!
  Thanks again for sending me the package. That is very
useful.

  Regards, Ed

Board:      MEDICAL SUPPORT BB
Topic:      NEUROLOGICAL

To:     WKSP90A    EDWIN PARTRIDGE       Date:    01/06
From:   MXWW92A    BEV STEWARD           Time:     8:55 PM

In March 1985 I read in the New England Journal of Med. a
letter to the Editor by Abraham N.Lieberman, MD and PD
neurologist, about a patient he had that developed severe
reversible Parkinson's which the doctor attributed to the
use of Meperidine or Demerol. He then concluded that it was
possible that some of the transient worsening that patients
 with PD experience after surgery may be due to use of
this medication for post-operative pain. Because I had noted
many cases of post-operative relapses in Parkinsonians I
decided to avoid this drug.  Then in 1989 since Eldepryl(MAO
inhibitor) came on the market, Demerol has definitely been
declared a "no-no" in combination with eldepryl. The PDR
says: "Therapeutic doses of meperidine have occasionally
fatal reactions in patients who have received such
agents(MAO's)within 14 days." So I feel that it is not worth
taking any chances. especially when there are other drugs
that will do the pain relieving just as well.
             Bev

From: [log in to unmask] (IDEALINK)

 * SLMR 2.1a * McLean Virginia USA  Sat 01-08-94 7:25 pm
---
 * KMail 2.96  - The Idea Link -