I want to clarify a couple of things in Richard's remarks (how
alliterative!).

We have the same policy about inclusion in the records section for all
volumes and it's laid out in the REED Handbook. There has to be some
reason to suppose that the record concerns music, dance, or mimetic
performance of some kind. Now there are individual grey areas in different
volumes: knowing as little as we often do about many folk practices, it's
often hard to be sure whether there is a mimetic element, but we try to
err on the side on inclusion without being wildly speculative.

What differs greatly from collection to collection is the inclusion in an
appendix of information about named performers drawn from other classes of
records, such as parish registers, rentals, or court books. In Lancashire,
there was such an appendix but there isn't one in every volume. I think
there are two principal reasons for that. If a district is very rich in
records, there may be no opportunity to survey the kinds of documents
which would inform such an appendix. Given the practical limitations of
time and money, one can't always look at everything. When I went to the
Leicester Record Office to complete a search that Alice Hamilton, our late
Leicestershire collection editor was unable to finish, I found a
tremendous number of surviving parish registers in our period had been
catalogued. But there was no time for me to survey those for a possible
musicians' appendix unless I neglected other classes of records that were
much more likely to yield documents for the records text section. I wish I
could have done it, but there it is. So in a way, the smaller the amount
of the surviving records for a county or city, the more likely the
editor(s) are to be able to survey things like parish registers and
rentals for performers.

The other reason is a matter of editorial procedure. Sometimes editors
are able to look at a few registers that may be in print or are
directed by some printed sources to small body of records of named
musicians that are not suitable for the records text but could be used for
an appendix. But the question is, is it right or useful to present such
limited data when it was not possible to do a full, proper survey? It might
misrepresent matters to do so. So editors who could only do a partial
survey of this type of document have been unwilling to use the results to
compose a musicians' appendix.

Richard is right about one thing, if we had all the money, staff, and time
available that we could wish for, then gathering those non-performance
records for each city or county would be a wonderful and useful task and
I'm sure it would improve the collections for which no survey could be
done in the present circumstances.

Abigail