Let me introduce myself. I am Chuck Niggley and I am a caregiver, but I
can also state that I get a lot of care in return, it is just at times
different than it has been in the past. My wife, Patsy, age 53, has been
diagnosed with PD since the fall of 1985, but we know/suspect she had it
for at least 2-3 years before that and was not diagnosed. She also grew
up on a farm in western Missouri and was involved in a couple of car
wrecks with neck and shoulder injuries.
As I am the one with the e-mail access from work, I print off the mail
each day and take home to her. At her request I submit the following
for your information.
From the San Diego Parkinson Corporation (SDPC) Winter, 1994 Parkinson Post
is the following information:
    NEWS ABOUT NUTRITION FOR PEOPLE WITH PD

Most people with Parkinson's disease are familiar with studies that show that
diet affects the response to levodopa medication. These studies, which began
more than 20 years ago, indicate that too much protein in the diet may have an
impact on some people with Parkinson's disease. Current research indicates that
people with Parkinson's disease do well on a diet which is balanced to provide
a ration of seven parts carbohydrates to one part protein (7:1).
On October 18, elan NutraPharma introduced the "Quality of Life Through
Balanced Nutrition" program. The program provides an array of services and
information on the nutrition needs of people with Parkinson's disease. Included
is a resource book with the most current information on the role of nutrition
in relation to PD, as well as practical advice on meal planning and preparation,
dining away from home, and exercise. A quarterly newsletter will go to those
who enroll, and a toll-free Nutrition Information Hotline, staffed by a
registered dietitian, is available.
With the help of leading neurologists and national Parkinson's associations,
elan NutraPharma has developed a line of easy-to-prepare foods called Hearty
Balance(TM), which provides the 7:1 balance of carbohydrates to protein.
To enroll in the "Quality of Life Through Balanced Nutrition" program, and
to learn more about Hearty Balance(TM) foods, call toll-free 1-800-4PD-FOOD
( 1-800-473-3663).

Patsy has the following question/statement for Krishna Nanda Jda. DO you
know anything about the Ayurvedic Medicine? In the January, 1994 Consumers
Reports, Page 51, "Alternative Medicine: The Facts", it lists that as the
traditional medicine of India--to treat Parkinson's disease.

Next item is for those that maybe doing research, involved in treatment
plans, or those associated in anyway with the drug companies.  Patsy
is taking 1/2 of a 25/100 (yellow) simenet pill in the a.m. to help
until her CR 50/200 (peach) time release simenet takes effect. More than
once she has mistaken the pills and taken the wrong one. Please consider
changing the shape and/or color of one of the medicines. It sure would
make things easier for the patients.

I am sure that we will have more comments to make in future messages,
but please keep the exchange going. We have lived in Kansas City area,
San Diego and now in the San Francisco area since the diagnosis of PD
and we find the support groups informative and useful. If for some
reason they are not that good in your area, contact some that are and
get involved and help change those in your area. We have been blessed
with the very good seminars, information exchanges, and candor of the
Research Doctors that have spoken at the various meeting we have
attended here in the Bay area in just the past year.

PLease keep the news coming

Chuck Niggley   [log in to unmask]  (408 737 2041) home, 408 737 0664 (fax)
 415 604 4347 work