---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 94 11:30:59 EST
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: personal interest

I though I would respond to your email and tell you about my personal
interest in belonging to this group.  I am not sure that I really have much
of value to contribute, however, I have a great deal to learn from
"listening".  I am an architect and product designer.

 A number of years ago while living in Italy, I began working on a series of
products for those who don't enjoy perfect health, have some sort of physical
limitation as a result of an accident or disease.  This work was not
commissioned, but was rather a personal research project.  During my research
I met countless individuals with various diseases. My intent was to begin to
understand how products needed to be "reconceived" in order to consider all
potential consumers, regardless of any disease or physical limitation they
may have.  My research has made it necessary to do a lot of listening.
Before beginning to use the computer (a year ago)  and discovering the
internet, listening (which involved a lot of travelling) was very expensive.
I was very fortunate while in Italy to receive a grant from the Italian
Government for my research.

In brief, the great failure of products to reflect the needs of those with
whatever sort of physical limitation a person may or may not have, is the
result of product developers and designers not listening to those who need
special consideration, and "know what they need".  This all may sound
trivial, but most building and products are designed in a sort of vacuum - it
was the way we were taught.  I know how design students are taught throughout
the world, and this is the way it is.
SO... as soon as a person has any sort of physical difficulty, it is not the
traditional design community which considers this person as part of the
market which must make use of the product resulting from their design, but
rather a whole other industry that concerns themselves with developing a
product for them.  Hence the "handicap products industry".  I really don't
know anyone
who wants to consider themselves handicapped, and buying one of these
products is often an embarrassment.  As a result, I have spent the past five
years researching and developing products that DO NOT belong to a handicapped
market, but are simply conceived to consider all individuals in  - regardless
of any physical limitation they may have.

I have been working predominantly on a project which is
of interest to many with Parkison's, arthritis, Spinal Cord Injury, MS, ALS,
and a few others.  So I have joined these user groups.  My fear in
introducing myself to most user groups, is that as a product developer I
"must be selling something".  Well, I certainly hope to some day.  Otherwise
my work wouldn't make much sense.  I do want to share what I have learned,
and to also make myself available to collaborate with others.   In 1991 I
lectured at the National Convention for Occupational Therapists in Como,
Italy.   I was honored to be able to participate.  I asked over 1200
Occupational Therapists if they had ever collaborated with a designer, and
the answer was a definitive - NO.  I asked how many had ever jury-rigged a
product to help a client, and the answer was
unanimously - YES.  That's why I do what I do, and why I would greatly
appreciate being a part of this group and being able to listen to others
needs.
Mark Wilson