Barbara Michalak:
They are not at all bulky, and work better than any bulky handle could ever
work.  It is even difficult for some people who see the simply lines to
believe they work at all.  Once you put them in your hands, it is like....
Well one person told me it was like Colombus's egg (Uovo di Colombo).  He was
in a bar one evening -true story- and like bar bets go, he told someone he
could make an egg stand on end.  You've probably heard it.  Anyhow, when they
said he couldn't do it, he tapped the egg on the end until he dented it a
little bit - and voila'!  The guy said "That's obvious".  His answer was "it
wasn't obvious to you until I did it".  I would be happy to send you some
photos.  I think the pictures showing them being held with various hand
positions would make it clear.

I think you are absolutely right about the real problem being a poliltical
and awareness problem.  No doubt about it.  But to me, in a sense, it is a
moral one as well.  And you can't mandate morality.  For example:  barrier
free architecture means we are supposed to have accessibility - which
naturally means ramps.  There are examples of ramps throughout history which
are not "handicap ramps" but means of gracefully winding up and down from one
level to another - the concern had nothing to do with accessibility.  You
would think that a designer with a little talent would make the ramp
something more (as the historical example - there are also some modern
example).  Unfortunately there are very few dignified ramps.  For most
corporate architectural firms, the ramp is a requirement.  Just put it in.
The conscientious designer dignifies it; the majority don't.  It really is a
great oppotunity that is being lost.  Many examples could be cited.

I think one of the world's greatest architects was Aalvar Aalto.  He always
considered the "weakest" persons in his designs.  His hospitals and libraries
- and countless other designs - show incredible sensitivity to the weak.