Hi All,

I have been doing a bit of research for you into door handles and
things. Our house is quite well set up for a Parkinsonian by now, and
luckily Dad kept all the brochures (Dad is one of those DIY people who
likes building his own house, or failing that, completely rebuilding the
one he is in. Much to Mum's distress!).

All our door handles are proper levers (not knobs) which are large and
easy to use for Parkinsonians - Mum could use them effectively even when
she found difficulty with other controls around the house. They are also
useful for hanging walking sticks off!

Apparently they are not designed specifically for the handicapped, more
for public buildings etc. They look quite good - the sort of design that
doesn't date. In fact, they look nicer than a lot of the handles I have
seen in other people's houses.

According to the brochure I have here, the company make:
    Door handles (levers), we use the "59 series".
    Back plates for the handles.
    Cloakroom fittings
    Hooks, cabinet fittings, bolts, finger plates & kicking plates
    Panic "push bars" for fire doors
    Pull handles etc.

Some of which might be useful to you.

They don't have a company in the US, but he says they will air freight
stuff over (even small orders). The company that makes the stuff is
"Steden", and the contact for details etc. is:
    NT Projects Ltd
    Advanced Business Park
    Hawks Green
    Cannock
    Staffordshire
    WS11 2GB
    U.K.

    Tel. 0543 502550 (from the US, +44 543 502550)
    Fax. 0543 502548 (from the US, +44 543 502548)

The chappie said he would be happy to send you details.

The other door handles (levers) I have seen are not so good, as they
tend to be rather small and delicate. The ones we have are chunky,
useful things:

(bad picture of door handle follows. This is their "series 59".)

==========================================     <- door
        < b>             |  |  ^
        ____             |  |  |
^       |  |             |  |  c
|       |  |             |  |  |

Depth of hook = a = 58mm
Diameter of tube = b = 23mm
Depth of handle from door = c = 60mm

I have no connection with the company. This is not an endorsement. If
the products do not provide satisfaction, don't blame me. I accept no
liability for any innaccuracies contained above.

Simon