I have been monitoring this list for a couple of months
now.  I am interested because my mother told me two
years ago that a doctor had told my father he had a mild
case of PD.  But the doctor felt there was no need for
medication because there were only mild symptoms and the
drugs have many side effects.  My parents live in a rural
community with three new and inexperienced doctors.  The
original doctor has since retired.
In a telephone conversation with my parents and also
after visiting with my parents at Christmas I am wondering
if the time has come for my father to consider medication.
It seems as though his temor is becoming very troublesome
when he is stressed.  After a recent week in which he attended
four funerals in three days, he had what my mother call an
"attack of nerves".  It appears as though his whole body
was convulsing with the shaking.  This I had never observed
before.  I believe my father is reluctant to admit it could
be PD.  But does anyone know if it is possible to take medication
only when having difficulties.  I suspect my father would
be willing to consider that possibility more readily than
admitting that he needed regular medication.

I have been following the messages with interest and I always
felt like an intruder but I can assure all of you that I
do have a personal reason for needing to be aware of the
developments of PD.

Darlene Canning
Computer Services Librarian
Physical Sciences & Engineering Library
Mcgill University
Tel: 398-4765      Email: [log in to unmask]