Just received the new APDA news and was encouraged with new drug studies and
descriptions of those being tested at  Barrow Neurological Institute.  Do
most of you get this publication?  This issue has all kinds of good news.
New dopamine agonists:  cabergoline, ropinerole, pramipexole.  MAO blockers:
lazebemide  COMT blockers:  tolcapone

In addition, the information on hereditary genetic disorders pretty  nearly
says that PD is inherited and is a dominant disorder.  To answer some
questions about why it does not appear in more than one person in a family,
the article states that upon close examination of others, mild symptoms can
be identified which never become full blown.  Also, some people do not
develop overt symptoms until very late in life.  This makes sense to me;  I
can see tendencies in my sister and brother, not the second sister at this
point.  My uncle had a very severe neurological disorder which was attributed
to being gassed in WWI, but I wonder as I think of his rigidity and tremor.
My father had epilepsy ?????  His sister was diagnosed with Parkinson's at
the age of 88, two years before her death.  Again, this was probably not
identified early on;  she spoke very softly for years and had some movement
problems.