Ken Bernstein: Thank you for your extremely valuable information (Dr
Wurtman) on melatonin. I read the original news release in the NYTimes a
few days ago. My thoughts (fears):
1. What's so terrible about going to sleep in 15 minutes or so instead of
5 or 6 minutes? And not at bedtime either, apparently. More of our
culture's need for instant gratification.

2. Here's more support for people who want to override the body's natural
systems in stead of, in the case of sleep, trying to lead an orderly life,
go to bed on time cut back on caffeine  and alcohol. TV ads for sleeping
pills are among my pet hates. They make it seem to acceptable and natural
to take a pill.

I'm sure there are cases where people are suffering and malatonin will be
a blessing .. but I'm afraid we will hear a lot about that and nil about
the cautions you have given us.

End of wailing. I meant my main message to be thanks for the authoritative
information .. it is just the sort of thing one hope to see in PD net and
on the Internet generally.