> Dear Michael Gary Duncan and Barbara Yacos:  Thanks for the encouragement
> on the biting the lip matter.  Funny how a little thing like that becomes
> a big thing that has the potential for being a morale downer.  Thanks for
> the support.
>         I'm still interested in hearing from those of you who exercise.  Is
> it desireable to exercise "into the pain?"  I used to do that with the
> saying that the Nautilus people put forward, "no pain, no gain."  Then I
> heard that it wasn't really a good idea.  But for those of us with
> constant pain, surely we have to do that anyway.  What do you think?
>         Bob Newbrough ([log in to unmask])

I would think the sort of exercises physical therapists use for people with
injuries would be more appropriate: stretching and exercise against light
resistance to regain flexibility and range of motion. This has worked for me.

The goals of exercise in order of priority, I would say are to

1: improve flexibility and range of motion
2: improve balance and maintain strength
3: aerobic exercise for cardiovascular fitness
4: increasing strength.

It seems to be generally recommended that one should do extensive
exercixe at least three times a week. Your program of Nautilus
training once a week may not be the best idea.

Dick Lacey   [log in to unmask]