          United Parkinson Foundation
          833 W. Washington Boulevard
          Chicago, IL, USA
          60607
          312-733-1893

          Just received a VERY informative pamphlet on PD from the
          above.   Here's a direct quote from Page 1.

          Q. "Is Parkinson's disease hereditary?"
          A. "NO.  Although there are OCCASIONAL reports of families
          where parkinsonism has occurred over several generations,
          such instances are considered RARE.  If the patient finds
          that other relatives suffer with shaking or have difficulty
          walking, it is MUCH more likely that the patient's family
          has FAMILIAL TREMOR, which is NOT Parkinson's disease.

          The two diagnoses can be separated in that the tremor of
          parkinsonism is seen at rest, and that of familial tremor is
          more promineent when the patient moves, as in writing or
          eating.

          The two conditions are not mutually exclusive, and a patient
          with familial tremor in his ancestry may, of course, have
          parkinsonism, or may have both simultaneously."

          The UPF people in Chicago are VERY nice to talk to over the
          phone and can be very helpful.  Besides the PD pamphlet,
          they sent me another one on Essential Tremor, which I take
          to be approximately the same as Familial Tremor.   They
          also steered me and my wife to a nearby "movement disorder
          clinic" where the doctors are more experienced with PD and
          ET than most FPs, or even neurologists.   Good people!

          The pamphlet on Essential Tremor was put out by:

           International Tremor Foundation
           833 W. Washington Boulevard
           Chicago, IL, USA
           60607
           312-733-1893

           Notice that they share offices with United Parkinson
           Foundation.  However,  I don't know anything about them
           as yet, except that their ET pamphlet was informative.

           Paul Millikin         [log in to unmask]