  Whilst watching Emily Hamilton (on Eye to Eye with Connie Chung last
night)when she first started  having neurological symptoms at three, I
wondered if any of the nine doctors who originally saw her figured she had
cerebral palsy.  I also wonder how many children are misdiagnosed cerebral
palsy when in fact it is Parkinson's disease.  How many people are in mental
institutions diagnosed as catatonic when in fact they are advanced
parkinsonians with akinesia.  On thinking back when I was a nurse with the
VNA I remember seeing patients I wonder now whether they were really
retarded, really had cerebral palsy, really were catatonic schizophrenics, as
diagnosed.  Levadopa was just coming on line then and not much was known
about PD.  It's a worry.  Maybe a course of levadopa should be tried on such
patients to rule out possible PD.
Barbara Yacos