Vern, Simon, and J.R.,

Thank you for your comments.  Each of you raised excellent issues.

I wish to share with you my personal objectives, which I think you share.

1) Increase the variety and number of "channels" that people can access
information about PD (whether it be free, or commercial).

2) Increase the depth and scope of the information available on-line.

3) Increase the number of people who have access to this information (via
personal computer, community library services, video text, interactive cable,
or CD-ROM).

4) Broaden the audience so that it also includes clinicians, researchers,
people with PD and members of their families, etc.

I envision a clearinghouse of PD information that would include not only
Parkinson's organizations, but pharamaceutical companies as well.

I believe that in the USA every national PD organization should have, at the
very least, an Internet address through which others can request literature
or make inquiries. Of course, I want these organizations to have an
individual who will respond to these requests in a timely manner.

To the best of my knowledge, not one of the national PD organizations in the
US or Canada is accessible via the Internet. This includes the PDF, NPF, UPF,
APDA, and PEP.

The Parkinson's Action Network is accessible via Compuserve at 74172,3305.

The APDA supports a BBS in support of the Young Parkinson's Support Network
which was founded by Arlette Johnson. The BBS is managed by Greg Johnson who
can be reached via the Internet at: [log in to unmask]
To log-on, call (805) 934-4950

The Young Parkinson's Chapter of California can be contacted through:

The Young Parkinson's Chapter of Massachusetts can be accessed via:
cocosolo.aol.com

Now, as for the proposal that Elin Silveous submitted to Dr. Paul Maestrone
of the APDA, if you would like to see the full proposal then please call him
and ask for a copy. His phone number is (800) 223-2732.

But what about the other PD organizations? I think we should encourage them
to make themselves available via the Internet, at the very least.
If I just tell them that x number of people are now participating on AOL or
on  [log in to unmask] it will not be as effective as 25 phone
calls!

Let's encourage these organizations to joing the fabric of an expanding
support network.
Ask Julian Pearson at the NPF, call (800) 327-4545
Ask Jeanne Lee at the UPF, call (312) 733-1893
Ask Dinah Tottenham-Orr at the PDF, call (800) 457-6676
Ask the Parkinson Foundation of Canada, call (416) 964-1155

I think that Sandoz and Somerset Pharmaceuticals, who sponsor Propath,
should be accessible via the Internet as well, call (800) 447-7672.

Simon, who should we contact at the Parkinson Society of the U. K?

Other organizations, specifically the National Multiple Sclerosis Society,
seem to be doing this quite well.

I agree that it would be great if we could start out specifying what we would
like to see at the very outset, but I doubt that it would ever come to pass.
In my calculus, there is such a void now, that any move they make towards
electronic information systems  is probably for the best.

First, let's let these organizations know that they should seek to use  every
channel available to disseminate information about PD. Second, while doing
so, share with them your vision of what they ought to provide.

Thank you again for you interest.

Sincerely,
Ken Bernstein