Lucile/RWright,
I do not understand the neurologist who, when prescribing eldepryl (selegline
hydrochloride) for the first time, specifically gave out a diet warning
against the so called "cheese effect".
He would be very correct IF eldepryl was a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, type
A.   It is not.  Eldepryl IS a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, type B, and does
not have the "cheese effect".  The chemical name for what we know as
"eldepryl" is: (R)-(-)-N,2-dimethly-N-2-propynylphenethylamine.  It was first
marketed in Hungary as "Jumex"; as Deprenyl in Europe; and Eldepryl in the
US.  This drug, by any name, is NOT a type-A monoammine oxidase inhibitor
(MAO-A).  It IS a type-B monoammine oxidase inhibitor (MAO-B).  Some people
who do not stay current with the literature, sometimes confuse the two.  The
only known food or drug that is contraindicated with eldepryl is anesthetics
of the demerol family of drugs.
What started this confusion was a cruise  in the Carribbean that Charles
Wilson (a nom de plume to protect the real person's privacy) took in 1963.
He enjoyed the foods: alcohol, cheese, sauerkraaut, chocolate, meat, etc.
Charles was taking a drug called Eutonyl, a drug that was a MAO-A chemical
compound.  Three days into the cruise, Mr. Wilson suffered terrible
headaches, and stiff neck, and began to vomit.  He was airlifted off the
cruise ship as "a medical emergency" with extremely high blood pressure.
Later, after test, it was determined that the "cheese effect diet" was
reactive with MAOs (before the type-A, and type-B was fully recognized).
Some, who refuse to see that there are "modifiers" in the course of history
stll say if it is an MAO it has the cheese effect, when in fact the MAO-B
does not have the cheese effect at all unless an unusually (very) high dosage
is taken  ...not likely where the standard dose is 2 tabs a day.
My only advice is to get another neurologist, and, two, make yourself aware
and current of the information available regarding Parkinson's Disease.  One
way to do this is to read "Parkinson's Disease: The Mystery, The Search, and
the Promise"  ISBN 0-9620354-1-6, Lib of Congress Card Number 92-093912.  The
Charles Wilson story is an extraction from this book that has complete
reference bibliographies.  You can get the book by writing Pixel Press, P O
Box 3151, Tequesta, Florida. 33469-0501, USA.  Price, returned postage
prepaid: US, $16.95; Canada, $17.50; Outside the continent, $19.50.  All in
US funds.  If you live in the State of Florida, add $0.90.
I hope this has been helpful to you in clarification of the matter, and will
help stop the proliferation of incorrect information by people that should
know better.

VernD <[log in to unmask]>