The following article appeared in the September 1991 issue of "The
Parkinson", the newsletter of the Parkinson's Disease Society of the UK.

(words/phrases which appeared in bold in the original text are surrounded
by asterisks. e.g. *this was in bold*)

--------------- Begin article

"Beans!"
========

Recent advertisments in the national press puporting to offer "Immediate
Help" with "New approaches against Parkinson's Disease" have *no*
connection with the Parkinson's Disease Society of the UK. Parkinson's
Disease sufferers and their carers who have responded to the advertising
by ringing the telephone number given have been sent literature
concerning the Vicia Fabia Beans. The Society continues to receive
enquiries about these beans and the reported benefit they are supposed to
give people with Parkinson's Disease. Dr. Gerald Stern, Chairman of the
Medical Advisory Panel of the Parkinson's Disease Society, has advised
Society Members as follows:

    "Several beans are known to contain L-Dopa. Recently there has been a
     claim from Israel that the Vicia Faba Bean not only contains L-Dopa
     but also an extra ingredient which makes L-Dopa work more effectively.

    "The first claim, that the bean contains L-Dopa, is almost certainly
     true, but the content is far less than in pharmaceutical
     preparations. The second claim, that the bean contains a novel
     ingredient has little foundation on the available evidence. Studies
     have in fact been initiated in several parts of the world, including
     by a member of the Society's Medical Advisory Panel, to examine
     these two claims scientifically.

    "On present evidence members of the Society who have Parkinson's
     Disease cannot be recommended to alter their present drugs and in
     any case should not do so without discussing the matter with their
     medical advisor."

Mr. Dan Beth-El, who has been promoting these beans, is *not* connected
with the Parkinson's Disease Society of the UK.

Members and their families should be aware that "The Society for the Help
of Parkinson Patients" is not a registered charity in the United Kingdom
and should therefore exercise due caution before making contributions.

They should also be aware that similar beans of the broad bean variety
are available in the United Kingdom at conventional prices.

--------------- End article

Note: I am unsure of the exact spelling of "Faba". Whilst researching this
      I found "Faba", "Fava", and "Fabia" (two different spellings
      appeared in the article). Take your pick!

In July 1991, my Dad (who was National Chairman at the time) wrote in reply
to a letter from a member of the Society:

    "...we have recently received information that investigations are being
     carried out in Israel, and I understand that the Fraud Squad also
     have an interest in this matter...."

Hope this helps,

Simon Coles

(Posting for myself, as usual.)