Purveyors and supporters of the arts in higher education, we urgently
need to hear from you.  As many of you are aware, the State of California
has been hit hard by the current recession.  Budget cuts in the
University of California system have reached crisis proportions.  In
light of these budget cuts, the University of California, Berkeley
administration is now deciding the fate of its Department of Dramatic
Art.  The members of the Department have enthusiastically supported a
task force report suggesting the restructuring of our Department as a
Center for Theatre Arts, a plan we believe will allow us to maintain
excellence in the face of adversity.  Acceptance of this proposal is not
assured; there is the very real possibility that Berkeley's Academic
Planning Board may elect to eliminate the Department altogether.  In
addition to meaning our extinction, such a move would provide an ominous
precedent for Theatre in higher education.  We urge you to make your
voices heard.  Please send letters and/or e-mail messages expressing your
support for Theatre in higher education to the three members of
Berkeley's Academic Planning Board listed below.  Time is of the essence.
Review will occur next week.  Thanks very much to all.

Bruce Bolt
Academic Senate
320 Stephens Hall
University of California, Berkeley