I am new to this listserve, so by way of introduction, I'd like to tell
a little about why I signed on here.  I am administrative coordinator at
the NeuroScience Center at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital.  We have been
helping to organize a Parkinson's Support Group here in Tallahassee.
We printed our first newsletter last month.  I hope some of your
suggestions and advice may be good material for future newsletters.

Many of the Parkinsons patients are not computer literate or do not
have regular access to computers, so I hope to act as a go-between
for them with this listserve.  I know they will miss a lot by not
having personal interactions.

In the course of helping with this support group so far I have found
that the people who feel most in need of support are the caregivers.
Especially in Tallahassee, it is easy to become isolated and feel
abandoned to take care of loved ones who are ill.  So one of my goals
for this group is to link up some caregivers by phone, to give them
someone to call when they need support.  This is important for those
people who are not mobile, or feel like they can't leave the house.

There is a local organization that is sort of a volunteer caregiver
exchange.  They look after a loved one who is ill to give the caregiver
a break--time to recoop.  They offer this service for Alzheimer and
Parkinson families.  I am not involved with that group, but I can
find out more details.

One of my roles in my job is to gather and disperse information.  I
think this listserve will be a valuable resource and I hope I can
contribute usefully.

Chris  @8)

The NeuroScience Center                 [log in to unmask]
at Tallahassee Memorial                 (904) 681-5037