I have had two very interesting days with RWEEDS of AOL BB.  She is Rita
Weeks of Lincoln, NE and has been in San Jose for her son's college
graduation.  Thuesday we spent with Tom Riess learning about visual cues that
can be used to resolve freezing and other visual stimulus that can control
dyskinesia.  He uses virtual reality in his work.   All is in a state of
development.  Tom will be featured on a Discovery Cable Channel special
called "Next Step" that will air Tuesday June 14 at 9:30 PM.  These times are
PDT, so check your local listings for the time in your area.  He has also
been videod for a PBS program in the fall.  Again I will keep you informed
about what it is called and the air date.

Yesterday, Rita, Margy Hansell and I had a tour of The Parkinson's Institute
in Sunnyvale.  This was formarly the Ca. Parkinson Foundation.  It was
fasinating seeing the animal research they are doing.  I would like to add
that Connie Saine of the MPTP group who appeared in the "Brain Transplant" as
not getting a fetal tissue transplant has just returned from Sweden where she
has had one.  Now there are three of the original MPTP patients with this
operation.

Two very interesting developments came from the time spent with Rita.  The
first is that Rita has a freezing problem that is very interesting.  She is
perfectly normal walking in the shade.  As soon as she enters warm Sun light
she "turns OFF".  Put her back in the shade and she "turns ON" again.  The
Sun light must be warm.  If she takes the arm of someone, she is OK.

The second interesting development was a story Rita told.  She participated
in a health fair in a small town near the border of Nebraska and Kansas.  Two
couples came to her booth.  Both of the men showed typical symptoms of PD,
tremor, slowness, stooped posture, etc.  They picked up information and left.
 The two wifes keep coming back for more information and asking questions.
 Finally Rita asked them what their doctor said their husbands had.  They
replied, "Farmers Disease."  Their doctor said "there was no cure or
medications, they would just have to live with it."  I can't tell you what
all just the name implies.  Now, maybe there is something called farmer's
disease but if it is PD, think of what that means.  How common is this?
 Unknown.  I think I will leave it at this until Rita returns next week to
tells us more.

Regards,
Alan Bonander ([log in to unmask])

PS: My newsletter is very long, should be out first part of next week.