Gopher is indeed a mysterious and worderful thing - it makes
the entire internet appear as one cohesive whole, which you can
jump from place to place "netsurfing" without worrying about the
technical details of getting there.

More powerful than Gopher is the World Wide Web (WWW), generally
accessed by a program called Mosaic. This not only accesses the
other Internet services (news, ftp, gopher) but also allows you to
view text, pictures, movies etc. It is also very easy to add your own
stuff, and most sites are keen for you to do so. WWW traffic is
apparently growing at an astronomical rate.

If you do get a chance to play with WWW, be warned - it is very
addictive...... I found myself reading pages from a Russian museum,
and I only came in to read my mail :-)

To use gopher and WWW, you need what is generally known as a "Well
Connected Internet Node", a loose translation being "there is a
permenant piece of cable between you and another well connected
internet node". To my knowledge, most Universities provide this, some
commercial service providers, and some companies. (My company does not
provide it because of security implications).

These technologies are really exciting, for they hide the complexity
of the Internet whilst providing a powerful suitable for all users. The
Internet is becoming less of a place for technical people to "hang
out" and more of a place for the rest of us.

(of course, the vast majority of people do not have a well connected
internet node. Hence we must always support the lowest common
denominator, Electronic Mail)

PS - is anyone able to set up WWW pages for PARKINSN? I'd do it here,
but I'm leaving in a month.

Simon