I thought this might be of interest to this list as well -- please post
any replies to the list, but forward them to John Cox as well.

AAY
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 1994 15:07:49 -0500
From: John D. Cox <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list PERFORM
Subject: stage devils

    In support of a project I am presently working on, I have
compiled a list of plays that stage devils, in a more or less
continuous acting tradition, from the beginning of English drama
to the end of the seventeenth century.  My list appears below,
excluding cycle plays.  Dates are from Harbage, Schoenbaum,
Wagonheim, Annals of English Drama.  I have benefitted
from Berger and Bradford, An Index of Characters in
English Drama to the Restoration.

    I am publishing my list on the network with a request for
additions and corrections.  My information is especially spotty
toward the beginning and end of the time period, but I would be
glad for assistance with any part of it.

1405-25  Castle of Perseverance
1450-1500  Mind, Will, and Understanding (The Wisdom That Is
     Christ)
1465-70  Mankind
1480-1520  Mary Magdalene
1560  Thomas Ingelend, The Disobedient Child
1565  R. Wever, Lusty Juventus
1568  Ulpian Fulwell, Like Will to Like
1572  Nathaniel Woodes, Conflict of Conscience
1574  The Interlude of Minds
1577  Thomas Lupton, All for Money
1578  Thomas Garter, Most Virtuous and Godly Susannah
1588-93  Christopher Marlowe, Dr. Faustus
1589-92  Robert Greene, Friar Bacon and Friar Bungay
1590  Robert Wilson, Cobbler's Prophecy
1592  A Knack to Know a Knave
1592  Shakespeare, 1 Henry VI
1596  Fulke Greville, Mustapha
1600  William Haughton (revised by "I.T."), The Devil and His
          Dame (probably the same as Grim the Collier of Croydon,
          or The Devil and His Dame, published 1662)
1601  John Day and William Haughton, Friar Rush and Proud Woman
          of Antwerp (lost, payment recorded by Henslowe)
1602  The Merry Devil of Edmonton
1600-04  George Chapman, Bussy D'Ambois
1605  George Chapman, Caesar and Pompey
1606  Thomas Middleton (?), The Puritan
1606  Thomas Middleton, A Mad World, My Masters
1607  Barnabe Barnes, The Devil's Charter
1608  Samuel Rowley, The Birth of Merlin
1609  Nathan Field, A Woman Is a Weathercock
1611  Thomas Dekker, If This Be Not a Good Play, the Devil Is in
     It
1611  Thomas Heywood, The Silver Age
1613  Robert Daborne, Machiavel and the Devil
1615  John Fletcher, Monsieur Thomas
1616  Ben Jonson, The Devil Is an Ass
1620  Thomas Middleton and Samuel Rowley, The World Tossed at
          Tennis
1619-20  I.C. (John Cumber?), The Two Merry Milkmaids, The Best
     Words Wear the Garland
1619-23  The Two Noble Ladies and the Converted Conjuror
1621  Dekker, Ford, Rowley,  The Witch of Edmonton
1622  John Fletcher, The Prophetess
1623  John Fletcher, The Devil of Dowgate, or Usury Put to Use
1625  John Fletcher, The Chances
1631  Ben Jonson, Chlorida
1633  Aston Cokain, Trappolin Creduto Principe
1634  William Davenant, The Temple of Love
1635  James Jones, Adrasta
1635  John Kirke, Seven Champions of Christendom
1637  Thomas Nabbes, Microcosmus
1638  William Davenant, Luminalia
1638  John Suckling, The Goblins
1639  1 St. Patrick for Ireland
1670  William Davenant and John Dryden, The Tempest, or The
          Enchanted Island