Hi Folks,

                           INTRODUCTION

My name is Hans van Zyl and I am interested in mammary cell physiology
(with special reference to farm animals).  My interest in
Parkinsonism originated when my mother was diagnosed in 1987. I
have a friend currently sufferring from PD.
I find the discussion group very interesting and helpfull, e.g. 7:1
C-H:protein - first (for me!) info on this.

Question 1

My friend (56) was PD-diagnosed in 1990. Shortly after his initial
diagnosis, he underwent surgery for a ventricular anuerism, followed
by surgery for prolapse of a spinal disc. He made a remarkable
recovery with regard to both his heart and back. At this stage,
though, he and his doctor find it increasingly difficult to separate
symptoms associated with PD from symptoms associated with congestive
heart failure (tiredness), or those associated with his back (pain in
the lower extremities). According to his wife he is increasedly
plagued by a burning sensation on the soles of his feet, as well as
pain in the leg muscles from the groin area to below the knee. Is
this a "normal" PD symtom?  His current medication for PD is Sinemet
25/250, four times/day.

Question 2

Scanning the literature published on PD on a monthly basis, I
encountered an interesting article in Science during 1993 (published
May 1992) regarding the administration of GM1-Ganglioside to primates
with artificially induced PD. I searched the PARKINSN Listserver for
any previous discussion on this subject but could not find any.

The article is:

J.S. Schneider, A. Pope, K. Simpson, J. Taggart, M.G. Smith, and L.
DiStefano, 1992. Recovery from Experimental Parkinsonism in Primates
with GM1 Ganglioside Treatment, Science,Wash. DC 256:843-846.

I think that GM1-Ganglioside may fall in the same category as the
neuro-protective agents mentioned by Bill Moore in "Brain Imaging
Offers Early Diagnosis, etc of PD" dated Sun, 15 May 94. I'd love to
get other views on this as the ganglioside was shown to have
neurotropic effects on a damaged dopamine system in rodents, thus
potentially being able to reverse some of the damage caused by PD. In
the study by Schneider, et al., results substantiated this and it is
concluded that GM1- Ganglioside may hold promise as a therapeutic
agent for the treatment of PD.

Has anyone seen anything published on GM1-Ganglioside since?

Kind regards,

Hans
Hans van Zyl                      |
Cell Physiology Group             | [log in to unmask]
Irene Animal Production Institute |      Tel: (27) 12 672 9261
Private Bag X2                    |      Fax: (27) 12 665 1604
IRENE 1675, South Africa          |