Hello everyone--
   I have been browsing through the messages in this group for a few
days--What a variety of countries, professions and talents!
  My name is Anne Rutherford  and I have lived in Newfoundland for the
past 5 years. I helped to start the Newfoundland Chapter of the Parkinson
Foundation,  the chapter's exercise group and the Newfoundland Newsletter.
 A few years  ago writing became more difficult and I graduated to a Mac
Classic.  Now, thanks to Werner Staubitzer's ingenuity, I am exploring
cyberspace.
  Parkinson's has been an unwelcome companion for many of my 60 years. My
grandfather had Parkinson's in the 1930s, my mother had Parkinson's from
1960 to 1968 (just before L-dopa) and a neurologist confirmed my
diagnosis of my Parkinson's in 1980.
   I was both appalled and relieved at the news. At last  I knew that my
symptoms were not entirely in my head. Correction: they are in my head
but they are real, all too real.
  The Parkinsons in my family can be used as an argument for genetic and
also environmental causes since the three of us were possibly more
exposed to agricultural chemicals and well water than other family
members.
   I am lucky to have a good response to the anti-Parkinson meds, and that

a new type is available as the old one loses its efficacy. I switched
from Parlodel to Permax about a year ago and it is probably time to add a
fraction more to the daily regime.  The other 'nasty'  in my life is
needing help when my meds are OFF.  For 14 years I have used every trick
in the book to keep one jump ahead of 'Old Parki'.  I am great when the
meds are ON but now the OFF times are not only unpredictable they are
very OFF indeed.  I'll have to figure out a way to get the better of 'Old
Parki for another year.
   I'm looking forward to participating in the Parkinson's (Disease) -
Information Exchange Network.  Parkinson's has been silencing people for
far too long. Now, thanks to Barbara Patterson and the members of this
group, there is a way for us to communicate our hopes, our fears, our
questions and our knowledge.
Anne Rutherford   <[log in to unmask]>
St. John's   Newfoundland