Sorry but I wanted to get my two cents worth in about keeping or removing
the word disease from the name of this group or from any other references
to Parkinson's disease.

In his message, Werner Staubitzer states that he is all in favour of
informing people of PD, including that it is not a disease.  I find it
interesting that my Oxford Dictionary defines a disease as an "unhealthy
condition of body, mind or plant, or some part thereof, illness,
sickness; particular kind of this with special symptoms or location".
This makes Parkinson's a disease as far as I can tell.

Although I respect the opinions of all others who disagree, I believe that
any "stigma" attached to PD would be better combated by increased
awareness and education about Parkinson's rather than removing the word
disease.  Let us all make efforts to try to raise public awareness by
volunteering our time and knowledge with the local chapters to help raise
the profile of PD in our communities.

In casual conversation many people do drop the word disease as
I sometimes do myself but I do not think that makes it less of a disease by
doing so.  Hopefully, whatever ultimately happens with the name, let us
 hope it becomes better understood.

Adrian Berg