To ALL
I agree with the proposal to eliminate the word 'disease' whenever
possible.
My first point is that 'disease' implies a state of ill-health which is
not usually true for people with Parkinson's.  Although we may be
severely disabled, our physical condition is due to a shortage of certain
neurotransmitters. When these chemicals are replenished our condition
improves for a time.  To me Parkinson's is more like Diabetes(a
condition) than the Flu(a disease).
Secondly, 'disease' suggests an illness which can be caught (like
measles). People with conditions which can be passed on should be
isolated and of course they shouldn't hug their grandchildren.   Right!
Our chapter has found people convinced that Parkinson's can be passed to
others and they tried to protect their families by avoiding contact.
Anne Rutherford