Hello Werner and Anne in Newfoundland and all others on this incredibly
growing network.

First a few thankyous. To Babara Patterson everyone appreciates your
welcome to new subscribers. Thanks to Greg Johnson and Alan Bonader for
information on Dr. Iacono within a few short hours. As others have found,
this new means of communication seems to prompt rapid responses. It makes
me think that perhaps we will get back to the letter-writing habits of the
Victorians at long last -- but using this new technology. Thanks too to
Barbara Yacos for your responses.

One of the problems, for Moira and me (and probably afew others) will be
the sheer volume of new messages each day. It will be a challenge to
respond and keep up to date.

For those out there who do not know, a few facts about Moira and me.
My wide, Moira MacPherson, has had Parkinson's for almost 15 years. We have
been married for just five years and Moira has two young children - two
boys aged 11 and 15 (going on 16). I came to the role of caregiving
relatively recently and my perspective will perhaps differ from many
others. The whole question of caregiving is a topic that should be the
subject of this network...and I expect I have just initiated it. [Unless,
of course, some earlier discussion lies in the archive files I have not yet
read.]

Moira has been a high profile Parkinsonian here in nova Scotia since she
arrived in 1984. I met her shortly afterward -- about 1986. My first and
enduring impression of Moira was of her determination in the face of
Parkinson's to "do" things and to raise her two boys. I continue to admire
this greatly, but have come to realize that this is a trait of many
Parkinsonians. And it's just great. Moira has been very active in the
Parkinson Foundation of Canada and was instrumental in establishing the
Nova Scotia Division. She also was a key advocate of the Dalhousie research
team that undertook fetal transplants. However, like many others, the new,
but old, surgical technique of pallidotomy is her great hope just now.

I am printing all of the messages about the "D" word to pass on to Bob
Symons, President of the Halifax-Dartmouth Chapter. Bob intitiated the
debate locally and nationally in Canada and has been writing to people in
the U.S. and U.K. about it. He will welcome many of the comments and I will
pass on his response in due course since Bob does not have a computer. I
think the immediate response that Werner received is in itself indicative
of the importance of the question. I don't think it is trivial or
inconsequential. The distinction between and illness and a disability is
extremely important if only for the value it will have in getting
governments and society as a whole to recognize the real effect
Parksinson's has on an individual, the family and everyone around him or
her. It is not that long ago that disabilities were hidden away from
general view. The disabled have the right to play a vital and active role
within the limitations of their disability. That, to me at least, is what
the "D" word debate really is all about.

I'm sorry to be so longwinded (and I have probably lost some people long
ago). But I was feeling guilty at making use of the network without really
introducing myself or Moira. We will continue to have our "two cents worth".

All the best to everyone,

Peter
 --
 Peter J.