 Joe Irr-Worldwide Product Manager for Sinemet.
     Good - you are just the person I've been looking for; someone who knows
something about Sinemet CR (carbidopa/levadopa controlled release tablets -
manufactured by Merck for Du Pont Pharmaceuticals).
     I would like you to describe the controlled release mechanism used in
Sinemet CR called "matrix" which obviously is not "tiny time tablets" waiting
for their time to begin working.
     You offer two strengths  of Sinemet CR:  50/200 which is scored so one
can break it in half and take 25/100:  and the new tablet CR 25/l00 which is
not scored.  For some sensitive patients CR 25/l00 is too much and are
advised to lower the dose.  Cutting a CR 25/100 with a pill cutter or knife
leaves a ragged rather large opening which has to make the dose less than
fine tuned in regards to amount of medicine and efficacy of controlled
release.  Maybe in this low dose it really doesn't matter.  But I am the
patient and therefore my own scientist and I want to know everything there is
to know about medication I take.
     The new  Sinemet CR 25/100 came out in Feb. and I have been using it
that long.  Observation:  It takes almost 2 hours for results -and somewhat
faster when it is cut in half for a 12.5/50 dose.  It is much slower than CR
50/200 cut in half.  The new tablet seems more dense - harder packed than the
CR 50/200.  This makes for some tricky manoeuvring insofaras getting a
schedule to meet my changeable daily living pattern, but I'm learning.
     I find that controlled release Sinemet works best on an empty stomach
and I try to adhere to a simple low protein diet of vegetable proteins and
very little animal and dairy proteins.
     Parkinsons and I have been warring roommates for over eight years.  I
had a pallidotomy last year with good results, and I started Sinemet this
year to smooth out the rough spots.
     Welcome to our club.
Barbara Yacos, RN