   Alan Bonander has written a very interesting letter on 'reality,
virtual reality and freezing'. ( I like to call it "sticky foot" because
that's where it gets me. )
  My 10 plus years of observing all kinds of freezing has convinced me
that it can be made worse by carrying something in the hands. If, for
example, you can persuade the 'frozen'  Parkinsonian to put down her
handbag her ability to begin to walk is often improved.
   I often freeze in corners or where there is a very small space
(perhaps with a wall right in  front of my nose).  Sometimes I can get
going by shutting my eyes and calling up a view of great open spaces-a
Saskatchewan wheat field for example. I have to have something to hold
onto for security, but I have managed to get unstuck.  I don't know if it
is the calming effect of the scene or the fact that my eyes are not
seeing the wall, but when nothing else works I try the wheat field.
Anne Rutherford   [log in to unmask]