Friends:

My mother who has PD recently went to see a physician in NYC at NYU re a
pallidotomy.

The doctor told them that prior to doing the surgery he would require that
she submit herself to four full days of testing.  At some point after the
testing, a decision would be made as to whether he would do the surgery on
her -- at all.

I have been reading the messages of others on this network who have had the
surgery and I have never heard of such extensive (expensive) testing being
done.  My folks spoke with a doctor at Mass Genereal who does the operation
and his testing regime seems much less complicated, lengthy and arbitrary.

A second concern has to do with insurance.  Perhaps others have run into
this.  Apparently, Medicare is the primary provider and Blue Cross/Shield is
the secondary.  According to the docotr, Medicare won't pay for the
pallidotomy as it is experimental surgery.  BC/BS won't pay because the
prinmary provider turned down coverage.  This doesn't exactly make sense to
me although our system of health care never did . . .

I'd appreciate any thoughts, observations, etc.

Thanks.

Andrew and Meredith