Some comments about the pallidotomy.

Here in California and other places it is not experimental surgery.  The
surgery is overed by Medicare, Medical, Blue Cross, Aetna, Travelers, etc.
 The major insurers come around when they find out that Medicare pays for it.
 I went to Sweden for a Right Pallidotomy and Aetna paid for it in Sweden.
 The insurance companies will almost always give you a run around   They make
money by denying benefits.  This is not a new procedure, it has been around
for 40 years.  Currently HMOs are not covering it.  Our biggest HMO in
California is Kaiser.  YPSN is working very close with Kaiser in hopes they
will cover it in the near future.  I know of two HMOs that have help pay for
the pallidotomy under duress.  It also depends on the condition of the
patient I am told.  If there is a question about insurance, have your doctor
call Loma Linda U. Medical Center at (909) 796-4822.  This is the phone
number given out in a brochure on Loma Linda Medical Center for information
on insurance.

The following list is my list of doctors / contact persons performing the
pallidotomy.  I do not recommend physicians, that is up to the patient,
carepartner and physician.

Location,Contact, phone, Fax

Boston,            Rees Crosgrove, MD,    617-724-0357
Salt Lake City   John Roberts, MD,       801-585-6848
NYC                 Michael Dogali, MD,     212-598-6300
Loma Linda, CA Robert Iacono, MD,      909-796-4822
Los Angeles      Antonio DeSalles, MD  310-794-1221, 310-794-7491
Minneapolis       Robert Maxwell, MD     612-624-1114
Dartmouth         David Roberts, MD,       603-650-8736
Atlanta              James R. Stanton,        404-727-3157
New Brunswick  Richard Lehman, MD    908-745-7520
San Francisco   Nickolas Barbaro, MD   415-476-4768
Los Angeles      Skip Jacques, MD,       800-762-1692
Chicago             Richard Penn, MD,      312-942-6644

Stockholm         Lauri Laitinen, MD,     46 8 660 1489, 46 8 660 1421
Toronto  ??
Japan    ??
Austria  ??

These numbers should be able to give you additional information about the
pallidotomy proceedure as performed at these locations.
The last three I know are doing the pallidotomy because they have written
reports on their results.  I do not know contacts or phone numbers.

Regards,
Alan Bonander ([log in to unmask])