I think there is a fine, but important, distinction between the terms
"genetic" and "heritable". Many diseases and other non-disease traits,
possibly even Parkinsons, may have a "genetic" basis. This means that a
gene is involved in the expression of that trait. It does NOT mean that if
you have the gene you will have the trait, even if it is a "dominant" gene.
Many genes require an undefinable special environment for them to be
expressed as a trait. This special environment may be the presence of other
genes or some chemical (natural or unnatural) present at a particular time
in development. This special environment may be something we have
absolutely no control over - such as natural fluctuations that occur in the
body during development. But to say that someone has a gene for something,
that it is "genetic" or has a genetic basis, may say very little about
one's chances of acquiring the trait.

When some trait is described as being "heritable", it usually implies that
some pattern of inheritance has been established. Thus one can reasonably
determine the chances, or probability, of acquiring that trait from
examining a family history.

There is, to my knowledge at this time,  no reliable and repeatable
evidence that Parkinsons is heritable. I believe it is premature, and
perhaps harmful because of the unnecessary fears it raises, for us to be
discussing the "heritability" of PD.  The "genetics" of PD is a question
that will have to await the results of those searching for the genes
involved, if there is one. And to date, there is no good evidence of this
either.

Is there any data regarding the percent of Parkinsons' offspring who never
develop symptoms. I suspect it is very high.

Allan Hansell