HI! My name is Michelle Jodoin and I have been actively reading all of the
messages on this group for a couple of weeks now.  My interest in this group is
due to my mother.  She was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1980 at age 52 and did
very well for the first 9 years or so at which point she was forced to retire.

Since she lived alone, within a year of her retirement she was no longer able
to manage on her own and had to move in to a "senior's home" or a "chronic
care" home. This was very difficult for her as she has always been a very
stubborn and independent women.  And... not even being a "senior" (at the time
she was 62) in home with 80 and 90 year olds was difficult for her.

My brother and sister and I have always taken a great interest in how she has
been doing, etc., but lately as her disease has progressed I have realized that
my head has been "stuck in the sand" so to speak and that perhaps there was
more I could do or another way to help her other than providing moral support.
I have found that this group has given me the perfect venue for becoming more
informed, keeping more up-to-date on new developments, etc.  Although I she has
very good doctors (she goes to the Parkinson's Clinic in Ottawa], I think it
will help in speaking to them if I am more informed.

I was very happy to read Don Berns message since he has had PD almost as long
as my mother and yet something other that "slowing the progression" has been
done for him.  I think that the miracle of the pallidotomy for him is fabulous.
 What I would like to find out is what the possibilities would be of my mother
undergoing this same procedure.  My first concern is that she is 20 years older
than Don (66 yrs) and her state of mind right now is very depressed.  (I assume
that as with most surgery, having a good state of mind going in is important).
My second concern, or rather question, is does anyone know if this surgery is
available in Canada?  I will, of course, ask her doctors this when we go to see
them in 3 weeks, but I'd like to be armed with as much information as I can
ahead of time.

So... this has been a very long-winded introduction.  I'd like to end by saying
that I am very grateful to have stumbled across the address of this list
service on the National Capital Freenet.  It has been most informative to date
and I'm sure I will continue to benefit from being a part of it.

Michelle [log in to unmask]