Dear Don Berns:  Many thanks for your account of the bilateral pallidotomy.
Its' effects parallel my experience of taking Sinemet and Eldepryl.  It was
like a miracle for me; I skiied better than I had for 20 years.  The chemical
effects I can understand.  It is harder for me to understand how the surgical
procedure could have had that effect.  It doesn't effect the dopaminergic
system, does it?  Can you (or anyone else on the network) go into this in
a bit of detail so that I can get the picture of the mechanism at work?
        I have been terrified of surgical procedures for they seem to me to
be changing structures irreversibly, that perhaps should not be. But so many
reports of positive effects are coming out here on the network that I am
going to have to rethink that position.
        I look forward to hearing more about this.  And I would appreciate
hearing the negative side of it as well; from anyone having had a bad
experience with it.
        Thanks.
                        Bob Newbrough ([log in to unmask])