A) RE: dystonia
Barbara , you are right!
Before I was diagnosed I had a lot of cramping and twisting in my
right foot (dystonia).   My shoes wore down on the outsides too.  I even
threw out 2 pairs of very expensive shoes  because  I thought they were
causing  the cramps.

I think some people have cramp when overdosed, but mine are at
'low' times--when I am very akinetic.
It would be interesting to see which meds the people who have
dystonia are taking, and also when the dystonia ocurrs

I am now taking Permax and Sinemet CR and Sinemet 100/25.  Until recently
I also took Deprenyl (1/2 tablet per day).
Before that I took Parlodel and Sinemet 100/25 with and without Deprenyl.
Before that it was Sinemet 250/25 alone and with Symmetrl.

The foot twisting vanished for a few years (1980-4) but reappeared and
has gradually become more extreme  as time has passed.
Sinemet is the only constant factor as far as drugs go but it is
eliminated by the pre-diagnosis cramping and twisting.

B)  About the charting ----
I only do it for 2 or 3 days the week before an appointment with the
Neuro or when I am trying to increase/decrease the quantity or change the
timing. It took me at least 5 times before I figured out my
method-couldn't do it the doctor's way. Don't see that DR anymore.

To Joel and Ric
C)  re:  Cognition
After 14 + years of Parkinsons and  the medications, I cannot think
clearly nor do even simple math when my meds are off.  When they are on I
can pretend to be smart.  It was quite different in  1983 when I
graduated from college  (on Honours  List)  in Computer Programming and
Systems Analysis.

In Toronto in  1985-6 I participated in two studies of memory function.
The name of the doctor escapes me.  No kidding!
study 1
Compare three groups of people ( alzheimers/parkinsons/ normal) Matched
for age, sex and what else.
Everyone did a set of tasks re different kinds of memory including
attempts to confuse and interfere with remembering.
study 2
Try out improved methods and add to information on memory and mental
sharpness among the elderly. I was told there was not much data on people
over 50 and less for those over 70 .

When I asked about results of number 1 I was told that there was
sometimes a memory difficulty  with Parkinsons which was different  from
alzheimers in type not just in extent.  One interesting point was the
problem parkinsonians had when required to juggle a separate idea  while
trying to remember or look for something else.

Cheers Anne Rutherford [log in to unmask]