Moira-
In regard to your question about carbidopa in Sinemet.  I don't believe  it
passes through the brain-blood barrier. However, elsewhere within the body it
blocks the action of dopamine that would otherwise cause serious side
effects, ie., vomiting (The name Sinemet means 'sin'-without,
'emet'-vomiting).  This blocking action allows a much greater percentage of
the levodopa you take to make it to the brain.  Carbidopa acts as a
decarboxylase inhibitor.  Madopar, an anti-parkinson's drug commonly used in
Great Britian combines levodopa with another decarboxylase inhibitor,
benserazide. I am not aware of any advantage of one decarboxylase inhibitor
over another.  In addition I think that the optimum requirement for carbidopa
is about 100 mg./day regardless on the amount of levodopa needed.

Greg Johnson