Dear Barb:

First I do not have answers for your problems, but keep the following in mind
when taking Sinemet:
1. When one first starts taking Sinemet your system builds up on it.  It is
thought to take about 14 days before your system stablizes.  During this
period various problems may arise.  Usually the problems are stomach type
such as nausia.

2. If one continues to experience nausia first thing in the morning and they
are taking the CR version of Sinemet, the use of Lodosyn is usually
recommended.  Lodosyn is Carbidopa pills, 25 mg, are free from your doctor.
 It turns out that the carbidopa in CR releases slower than the levodopa.
 The result is insufficient carbidopa and  the symptoms are similar to
levodopa alone.

3. The new CR strength of 25/100 is not scored because it is not to be broken
in half.  The controlled release function of the CR breaks down if broken.

4. Initially there was a warning not to chew, disolve, etc. CR.  I believe a
lady in San Diego had a nasty reaction when she chewed her CR.  I have also
met people who chew CRs without problems.

5. If sinemet is giving problems, why not start with an aggonist like permax
or pardorel.  I would recommend permax.  One must be careful as the side
effects of these drugs can be worse than sinemet.

6. Two drugs not to mix are Sinemet CR and Liquid Sinemet.  Obviously one is
long acting and one is short acting.  The problem is that liquid sinemet can
react in 5-15 minutes where CR can take as much as two hours.  What normally
happens is that just before the CR kicks in one has just taken some liquid
sinemet.  This puts one at an overdose level for the CR to sustain for a long
period.  This can be "Hell on wheels" with no way out.  Don't mix the two
therapies.

7. For some time now, when I start my meds in the morning, I get a very bad
case of dystonia is my right foot.  The toes curl downward, with some
mornings being very painful.  The good side is it lasts no more than 5
minutes and then life is tolerable again.  This is drug induced dystonia.

8. Chuck Miller talks about patients that seem to be overdosed all the time.
 These patients have very difficutl OFF times. They may freeze, have violent
tremor, dystonia, ridigity, etc. when OFF. So as not to experience OFF time,
they will overdose.  The price of dyskinesia is lower than the fear of OFF
time.  This problem is being addressed with some of the newer drugs under
test.  The drugs that seem to do some good are the "...pons."  I know of
about 8 of these cases in CA alone.

9. Many physicians think that CR in either size is their best tool to happy
patients.  More physicians are finding the CR has its own set of problems.
 Both physicians and patinets would like a fast acting, long duration, no
side effect pill for PD.  I wonder if the cure will have side effects!!!

As Chuck Miller stated, information is our best weapon against this disease.
 I hope I have helped somewhat.  Chuck Miller also talked about his girl
friend.  Maybe I should ask ... I won't.

Regards,
Alan