---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 12:35:16 -0500 (CDT)
From: yarborough joan <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: New Member introduction

(Barbara, I have tried numerous times to get this through to Toronto and
PARKINSN with no luck. If you receive this, please forward to "Multiple
Recipients". Thanks.)

As has been suggested, I would like to introduce myself, a silent member of
about 2 weeks.
I am the wife/principal caregiver of my husband, James. He is 65 and was
diagnosed 4 years ago. His case has been called "atypical PD" and has not
responsed to the usual treatments. He has not been able to tolerate Sinemet
and has had extreme reactions in hallucinations and disorientation. After 2
years on Sinemet (trying every conceivable dosage and time schedule), he
was taken off last summer (7 weeks hospitalization). Now after a year off,
his PD has progressed extremely fast. He has been told that he is now at
the point he should be in 20 years, instead of 4.
We investigated the pallidotomy at Emory University Hospital, but were told
that his case was not "classical" and he was not accepted for the project.
So=8Awe are back at square 1, trying to tolerate a minute dose of Sinemet
(and I might add, quite depressed about it all).
My other PD connection is that I am volunteer editor for the monthly
newsletter of the MIddle Tennessee APDA chapter and serve on the board of
directors.

(I hope I've done this right-I tried earlier, but no luck.)