If our international friends will excuse us, we want to conduct a little
American business here.

I have written the following letter to my two Senators and to my
Congressman. I encourage everyone who is interested in the prevention
and cure of Parkinson's disease to write similar letters to their
congressional representatives. In the place of S.2294, a letter to a
Congressman should refer to H.R.4789.

I sent my message to Senator Charles S Robb on Internet. I sent the ones
to Senator John W Warner and Congressman Frank R Wolf on Relaynet to
their FAX machines. I am not on America Online --- (because I have an
antique 5 1/4 inch diskette drive; in fact I even still use the ancient
8 inch floppies on the Wang machine) --- but I think you can send FAX
messages on AOL, and I know you can on Prodigy (although I don't). I can
help anyone who wants to know their congressional representatives'
internet addresses (not very many) or FAX numbers.

                 .     .     .     .     .

To: [log in to unmask]

                                                    Edwin M Partridge
                                                    7706 Falstaff Rd
                                                    McLean Va
                                                    22102-2723

                                                    703-356-7738

                                                    August 9, 1994

The Honorable
Charles S Robb
United States Senate
Washington DC

Sir,

I urge you to support S.2294, a bill to amend the Public Health
Service Act to provide for the expansion and coordination of research
concerning Parkinson's disease and related disorders, and to improve
care and assistance for its victims and their caregivers, and for
other purposes.

This bill is known as the Morris K Udall Parkinson's Research,
Education, and Assistance Act of 1994, in honor of Senator Udall, who
resigned from Congress in May of 1991 because of this debilitating
disease.

Senator Mark O Hatfield and Congressman Henry A Waxman introduced the
Udall Parkinson's bill on July 19, 1994. Senator Hatfield said, "The
great tragedy of Parkinson's disease is that we need not suffer this
enormous loss. There is tremendous potential for major scientific
breakthroughs in the prevention and cure of Parkinson's. Scientists
have recently discovered evidence of genetic and neurotoxic links to
the causes of the disease and new treatments, involving neural growth
factors, tissue implants and genetic engineering."

The Udall Parkinson's Act will:
Expand basic and clinical research into Parkinson's, and coordinate
   the research agenda;
Establish Parkinson's research centers across the country;
Establish Morris K. Udall Excellence Awards and feasibility study
   grants;
Establish patient and family registries;
Establish Morris K. Udall Health Professions training grants; and
Establish a National Parkinson's Disease Education Program.

It has been said that Parkinson's disease is the stepchild of the
federal budget. Please support the passage of this act to end this
neglect of the Parkinson's community.

                                          With best regards,

                                          Edwin Partridge

From: [log in to unmask]

 * SLMR 2.1a * McLean Virginia USA  Thu 08-11-94 5:43 pm
---
 * KMail 3.00t