On Wed, 17 Aug 1994 09:04:59 -0600,
Simon Coles  <"Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network"> wrote:

>Soon I will start assembling some World Wide Web pages about Parkinson's
>and related topics.

>- Ideas of topics to cover
>- Electronic copies of articles which I can use (saves me writing my own)
>- Relevant pictures/diagrams (GIF format if possible, but will take anything)
>- Offers to write material
>- Offers to proof read material (you will need a WWW browser like Mosaic)
>- Offers of somewhere to put the complete pages (a friendly Internet site)
>
>I don't have anywhere to put these pages yet. My intention is to get stuff
>written and then beg/borrow somewhere to put it.

Simon...this sounds like an excellent project. I have been on internet for
about three months and have a great deal yet to learn about many aspects
(WWW, FTP, etc.). My provider is Nova Scotia Technology Network here in
Nova Scotia and I gather that I have more obvious access to things like
gopher, veronica, archie, etc. than many others who are using American
commercial providers such as AOL. I have some inkling of WWW and know that
Mosaic is downloadable, but have not yet managed it.

I am interested in collaborating with you on the project in whatever way I
can. For your information I am a freelance editor and writer, so perhaps
this might be an aspect of my contribution. [My wife, Moira MacPherson, is
the Parkinsonian and has contributed quite a few written pieces here in
Nova Scotia and nationally, but she is reluctant to spend time at the
computer.]

Do I understand your proposal correctly? After collecting information,
articles, etc., is the object/problem to find a place to locate it which
is accessible to anyone using WWW. The task is to contribute material
accessible through WWW, rather than located it through WWW.

I certainly support the principle of free access and use. I think public
access to information on internet is absolutely essential. Halifax now has
a freenet (Chebucto FreeNet) and I believe the freenets are going to be an
critical part of protecting the public interest.

I must get down to solving the acquisition of Mosaic . I ried once, but
could not decide what to do with the information I received at the first
stage. I am going to a national conference/trade show in late September
which will have sessions on internet and electronic prublishing. This
should get me up to speed.

In terms of what subjects or topics, I should imagine that a review of the
Parkinson Information Network messages over a few months would provide a
ready list. I think, if memory serves, at least one of the Parkinson
Newtork subscribers is a librarian -- perhaps he or she could suggest some
useful classifications. I have filed many of the Parkinson Network messages
in separate folders, but often get tangled in whether a message should be
under drug therapy or side effects, etc.

I hope others will respond to your suggestion. Bye for now.

Peter
 --
 Peter J.Kidd                        FAX: (902) 443-4262
 [log in to unmask]                Voice: (902) 443-4262