The following diseases resemble Parkinson's disease but are not PD.  They are
often classified as "Parkinson's Plus" because of their similarity in symptom
to PD.  In most cases these diseases do not respond to Levodopa treatment.
 Normally, a signal that one of these diseases may be active is the lack of
response to Levodopa and a faster than expected progression.  In almost all
cases there is no drug therapy other than PD therapy which is of very limited
value.  Surgery, such as thalamotomy and pallidotomy, are of very limited
value.  Pallidotomy has shown about a two month period with reduced symptoms
and then the patient reverts to conditions prior to the surgery.

Here is a partial list of "Parkinson's Plus" diseases.

Shy-Drager Syndrome: A condition in which the earliest and most severe
symptoms are those of insufficiency of the autonomic nervous system:
dizziness on standing, bladder difficulty and impotence.  These autonomic
symptoms are followed by PD symptoms such as rigidity, tremor, bradykinesia,
postural instability and gait difficulty.

Striatonigral Degeneration (SND):  The patient becomes stiff and slow and
develops difficulty with balance and walking.  Usually patients do not have
tremor.  The damage is in the striatum and not the substantia nigra.

Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP): Patients develop paralysis of their eye
movements, difficulty in speaking, rigidity and senility.  This disorder
causes changes in the brain that are similar to those of PD, but are even
more extensive.

Olivopontocerebellar Degeneration (OPCA): Patients have difficulty with
balance and walking, often called ataxia.  There may exist an action or
postural tremor, but they do not have rigidity or bradykinesia.  The disorder
results from a deterioration of certain structures in the nervous system
including the cerebellum, the pons( a part of the brainstem) and the olive (a
part of the brainstem).

Muiltisystem Atrophy (MSA): OPCA and SND are often lumped together under MSA.
If the symptoms show problems with blood pressure, control of urinary bladder
and sexual disfunction it is called "Shy-Drager."

The above discriptions are from two books: Parkinson's Disease, A Guide for
Patient and Family by Roger Duvoisin, MD and Parkinson's Disease, The
Complete Guide for Patients and Caregivers by Abraham Lieberman, MD.

I caution all of you with PD thinking you have PD+.  These are classified as
rare and then the books say that about 20% of those with PD are later
diagnosed as PD+.  The books also classify these diseases as NOT PD.  That is
why they do not respond to anti-parkinson drug therapy, such as levodopa.
Secondly, they progress much faster than PD.  And thirdly, little if any,
research is being done on these diseases.  There is a PSP society in the US.
 It is called PSPS.  I will forward the address when I am able to find it.  I
know that PSPS has been working to get more government funding for research.

Again I caution all of you with PD.  I have almost all of the symptoms
defined for each of the PD+ diseases.  My difference is that I respond to
Levodopa in the form of Sinemet.  I also respond to Permax and other
anti-parkinson medications.  Finally, most neurologists  do not say PD+.
 They may hint at "Atypical PD" and even then they may be only frustrated
with their inability to control the patient with drug therapy.  If you
suspect PD+ ask your doctor point blank about the diagnosis.  If you get a
wishy-washy answer, get a second opinion from an expert.  PD+ is serious and
an improper diagnosis in either direction can be disasterous for the patient
and family.

Regards,
Alan Bonander ([log in to unmask])