          I am relatively new to this list, and felt compelled to
          contribute after reading the question about breathing
          problems possibly related to Sinemet.

          I am a researcher in Speech Science/Speech Pathology, and my
          dissertation dealt with breathing problems during speech in
          people with Parkinson disease.  (article published in the
          Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 1993, volume 30, pp.
          294-310)  In my review of the literature, I came across some
          information that may be helpful.

          I will reprint one paragraph from my original dissertation
          document here (p. 74) if you are interested.  I will add
          comments in brackets that may help explain technical terms.

          "Several cases of people who developed respiratory
          dysfunction as a result of levodopa therapy have been
          reported.  Weiner, Goetz, Nausieda, and Klawans (1978), De
          Keyser & Vincken (1985), and Jankovic and Nour (1986), each
          reported one case of a person with Parkinson disease who
          devleoped dyspnea [breathlessness], tachypnea [rapid
          breathing] or irregular breathing patterns, and other
          negative respiratory symptoms after taking levodopa.  The
          respiratory dysfunction in these three cases were attributed
          to respiratory dyskinesia [abnormal, involuntary movements].
           The patients experienced concomitant limb and facial
          dyskinesias, and responded well to alterations in drug
          therapy.  Weiner et al. and Jankovic and Nour reduced
          levodopa doses for their patients, and De Keyser and Vincken
          were able to eliminate the respiratory disturbance by
          administering a dopamine agonist along with levodopa.
          Zupnick, Brown, Miller, and Moros (1990) described two cases
          of levodopa-induced respiratory dysfunction, both of which
          exhibited dyskinesias and responded well to reductions in
          levodopa doses.  However, these authors argue against
          respiratory dyskinesia as the cause."