David,
There are many good people in the field of sterotactic surgery.  Your
Nuerorsurgon at Loma Linda, as is Dr. Michael Dogali at NYU Medical Center
and Dr. Delong at Emory University are considered leaders in the field  of
Pallidotomy (USA) by a large number of people.
Surgerey is such a personal thing, I would not think of advising anyone
regarding deliberate mutilation of brain tissue for a band-aid fix.   Don't
get me wrong.  People who have had Pallidotomies rave about the results
....except for the letter I am reading tonight.  This lady had a pallidotomy
 April 6, 1994, and alredy the outstanding results are wearing off.  Now she
is faced with the decision too do the other side or not.
I perfer to wait.  There is some promising research out there in cell
implants - both fetal and genetically engineered cells.  I am very optimistic
about out PD future, and I wan't to keep my brain virgin for the day all that
research pays off.  ...as I said, it is a personal thing.  There is no free
lunch.
I wish you and Aviva all the best in what ever you decide.
VernD