From: [log in to unmask]
Subject:      Mo Udall Bill

To Hearld Oldstein and his NID contact:

The Mo Udall bill is an authorization to spend money should any ever be
available somewhere down the line.  It is not an appropreation of any
existing or future funds to this research.  The Parkinson's community
recognizes the state of low funding for medical research in the US.  We do
not want funds dedicated to other disease as we know they too want a cure for
their disease.  Moneys we would like to see ear-marked for PD research are
funds from the Harkin/Hatfield amendment to health reform.  This amendment
places a tax on health insurance preiums paid by individuals and business,
the proceeds to be used for medical research.  The original amendment asked
for a 1% tax.  My fear is that this amendment will be axed in the debate on
health reform.

Do understand, however, that Congress normally gives NIH funds without
specific direction.  The management of NIH then hands out money as they see
fit.  The Mo Udall bill directs NIH to spend funds appropreated by Congress
in special ways.  It is the hope of the Parkinson community that funding for
research come from new sources.  But like you stated, those that make the
most noise get the most research money.  Parkinson patients have been at a
disadvantage because PD has been known as the Silent Disease.  We do not plan
on keeping it silent any longer.

There are many worth causes.  Many more than can be funded.  There needs to
be a better allocation method than the "squeeky wheel" method.  Until the
rules change, one must play by the rules.

Regards,
Alan Bonander ([log in to unmask])

 --------End of Unsent Message