I joined the list because a
close friend has Parkinson's; he is computer unfriendly and I try to
help him by copying letters of interest.  My friend, like myself, is a
retired academic, from the University of Toronto.
I am moved to write because his sypmptoms seem to be progressing
rapidly of late, as several of his friends and relatives have noticed.
He is 70, has had PD for about 5 years, and takes sinemet and two
other drugs.  His main difficulty is a severe memory problem, combined
with a
sometime confusion of ideas, whereby he is unable to continue a train
of thought.
I have two specific questions which I hope someone out there may be
able to help me with.
The first regards my friend's nuerologist.  It is my strong impression
that my friend has an unsatisfactory relationship with his doctor.
There is little communication, and the trust one should have in one's
doctor is missing.  Is there somewhere my friend could go to discuss
this and to try to find a more satisfactory physician?  Any suggestions?
My second question concerns the pallidotomy operation I have been
reading about here.  My friend says that if he could sign up this
afternoon he would, but that is said only on the basis of reading some
of the letters from this correspondence, and is also doubtless an
expression of desperation.  I am trying to go through and copy all the
relevant letters, but if anyone has anything more to add, either of
their own experiences or sources of information, I would appreciate
it.  Thanks!  Jack Canfield.   [log in to unmask]