On Thu, 1 Sep 1994 16:40:51 -0400,
John Canfield  <"Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network"> wrote:

>I have two specific questions which I hope someone out there may be
>able to help me with.
>The first regards my friend's nuerologist.  It is my strong impression
>that my friend has an unsatisfactory relationship with his doctor.
>There is little communication, and the trust one should have in one's
>doctor is missing.  Is there somewhere my friend could go to discuss
>this and to try to find a more satisfactory physician?  Any suggestions?

My wife, Moira MacPherson, has had Parkinson's for 15 years. Over that time
she, like almost every other Parkinsonian, has heard this kind of story --
the lack of communication between patient and neurologist. Perhaps it is
something to do with their training at med school? Who knows? We have found
that there is tremendous support through other groups of Parkinsonians --
support groups and chapters. Are you in Toronto? I see from your E-mail
address that you must be somewhere in the vicinity. The Parkinson
Foundation of Canada and its Toronto Chapter are very active. The PFC is on
Bloor Street Tel: 964-1155. The phone number for the Toronto Chapter is
222-4232.

>My second question concerns the pallidotomy operation I have been
>reading about here.  My friend says that if he could sign up this
>afternoon he would, but that is said only on the basis of reading some
>of the letters from this correspondence, and is also doubtless an
>expression of desperation.  I am trying to go through and copy all the
>relevant letters, but if anyone has anything more to add, either of
>their own experiences or sources of information, I would appreciate
>it.  Thanks!  Jack Canfield.   [log in to unmask]

There is a program at Toronto Western Hospital under the direction of Dr
Tony Lang. It is still classified as a trial or experimental, but they
have performed 20 pallidotomies this past year. Contact Jan Duff, Clinical
Trials Co-ordinator at (416) 368-6422 or FAX (416) 369-5004. You have
probably spotted Don Berns fine messages on pallidotomy and Dr. Iacono in
California -- especially those of June 26, June 30 and August 19.

Best of luck -- caregivers, whether family or friends, are extremely
important for Parkinsonians.

High to everyone else out there.

TTFN

Peter Kidd
 Peter J.Kidd                        FAX: (902) 443-4262
 [log in to unmask]                Voice: (902) 443-4262