From:   CTRVAX::NEWBROJR      7-DEC-1993 22:14:22.97
To:     IN%"[log in to unmask]"
CC:     NEWBROJR
Subj:   RE: Feldenkreis physical therapy

Dear Linda Haubert:  Feldenkreis is named after Moshe Feldenkreis, an Israeli
who had suffered a serious accident and had to teach himself to walk all over
again.  He has recently died, but before that he had taught a number of people
his method.  I have the following books:
        Rywerant, Yochanan (1983).  The Feldenkreis Method: Teaching by
                Handling.  Keats Publishing, 27 Pine Street, Box 876, New Canaan
                CT 06840-0876
        Alon, Ruthy (1990).  Mindful spontaneity: Moving in tune with nature:
                Lessons in the Feldenkreis method.  Avery Publishing, 120 Old
                Broadway, Garden City Park, New York 11040
        Heggie, Jack (1986).  Running with the whole body.  Rodale Press,
                Emmaus, PA.
All three show exercises that would be useful to us with PD.
        The therapist that I work with is Debbie Ashton, 9113 Cedar Park Lane,
Apartment C, Knoxville, TN 37923.  615/609-9548.  She could supply you with
the name and address of the closest certified therapist in this method.  She
referred me to Jack Heggie in Boulder whom I saw last March; mentioned in my
introduction.  Home: 303/449-9858: Office:  303/449-8100.
        The method is quite elaborate, with easy exercises that one can do
on your own.  The therapists are then trained with additional approaches that
they use for loosening up tight muscles, etc.  I have found it to be quite
effective with my posture; it worked pretty well before I was diagnosed and
started Sinemet.

        I have also found Shiatzu, a Japenese pressure method, to be very
helpful in dealing with muscle spasms, in my back and now in my elbow.  A
colleague has given me the following book:  Irwin, Yukiko (1976).  Shiatzu:
The Japanese finger pressure for energy, sexual vitality and relief from
tension and pain. Phila, PA: Lippincott.  It has sections for self treatment and
treatment by a partner.  It has worked pretty well for me during a recent back
when my lower back went into spasm.
        I'd be interested in any experience that others have had of this sort,
that has been helpful.  And particularly, if anyone else has used either of
these two methods.
        Bob N.