I picked this up on the YPSN BB in CA and pass it along to anyone interested.

==================

>   From: Neal Slatkin, MD
>   To: All

>   Subject: PD symptoms and menstruation/menopause

Other than for two brief reports by Marsden and Golbe, there is scant medical
literature on the effects of menstruation and menopause on Parkinsonian
symptoms.  Recently I have seen two patients whose symptoms were dramatically
worsened just prior to menstruation.  One of these patients is immediately
premenopausal. I'm wondering how many young woman with Parkinsons experience
worsening of symptoms in association with menstruation, and what if any
treatments you have found successful in treating these exacerbations.  Have,
for example, any of you woman noted any change in symptoms when you went on
estrogen replacement therapy ( Premarin for most ), or when you went on or
off
birth control pills?  As most of us frustrated by the treatment of Parkinsons
soon come to recognize, the neuro-endocrine system is staggering in its
complexity.  Unfortunately, too few studies seem to have looked at hormonal
effects.  Perhaps this would be a fruitful area for a large patient survey.
Please share with me any experiences or thoughts you might have had on this
subject.  Thanks.

>     From: Arlette Johnson
>     To: Neal Slatkin
>     Subject: PD symptoms and menstruation/menopause

Dr. Slatkin,
Having heard similar stories from women across the nation, as they contact
me,
and having similar problems myself, I along with Dr. Nutt, Dr. Perla Thulin,
at Oregon State Health University, and Dr. Matt Kurth & Susan Imke, have just
completed a survey on hormonal response in women w/PD. I have close to 800
women in my database that we will be sending this survey to. It will go out
soon. If you have women who would like to receive this survey, please have
them contact me immediately, as we are making our list  up now. I can be
reached at: 800 223-9776 or Young Parkinson Information & Referral Center,
1041 Foxenwood Drive, Santa Maria CA 93455. This is a problem for many women,
requiring increasing their meds prior to menses. Premarin can be a problem
also. I know this survey will shed some light into this unexplored area--and
hopefully result in some answers & help.  Arlette Johnson.

Note:  Arlette Johnson can be reached at 800-223-9776 or about twice weekly
her husband, Greg, checks in on [log in to unmask]

Regards,
Alan Bonander
AOL:Bonander Internet:[log in to unmask]