Hello folks!

I understand the basic concepts behind PD's effects on physical
abilities, but I have a question about how it affects cognition,
memory, and other mental faculties.

My mother is in residential nursing care in Europe. She was
diagnosed with PD about six months ago, and is on Simenet and
Deprenyl. She's in her eighties and has had several falls leading
to bone fractures since she also suffers from severe osteoporosis.

Sometimes her speech is quite impaired, so it's difficult for us
to talk on the phone. Several murmers and whispers are all she
can manage occasionally. I'm wondering whether in this situation
I should just be patient and wait for her to get to a response,
or whether I should just continue chatting anyway. In other words
is she likely to be quite aware of me having to wait for her to
reply, or does PD have a side-effect of slowing one's thinking
process as well?

Of course, her age is causing her to be a little foggy anyway,
but it seems to me that if her slowness is predominently caused
by motor control problems, then I can quite easily talk for a
long period without wiaiting for a reply. On the other hand, if
she has mental limitation as well, then my continued jabbering
is just going to make her even more confused.

Any opinions?

John Murray, University of Michigan