Boy does this ring a note with me. My mom started having hallucinations in which
she saw small animals, then graduated to people in her home, in her room, having
parties, etc. But, none of them would respond to her when she asked them what
they thought they were doing in her house.  She also began to see faces peering
into her windows, and became frightened.  She was given anti-hallucigins by her
psychiatrist and that helped...but, she became off balance and fell often.
Finally, her dr. in Fla (where she winters) took her off all that stuff and
reduced her sinemet which seemed to help all the above. So my inclination is
to think it was drug-induced.  It is indeed a frightening experience for the
sufferer and for her caretakers!
Best of luck in your challenge with this problem
Lynn Lowe