Matt Klompstra,

     I read with great empathy and understanding your description
of your dad's Parkinsonian condition.  I am 46, soon to turn 47
and I have had Parkinson's for the last 13 years.
     I believe there is great hope I can offer you through a
surgical procedure known as a Pallidotomy.  I had a bilateral
Pallidotomy last Dec. 1, and it has absolutely changed my life.
I am back doing many physical activities I enjoyed before such as
skiing, playing tennis and golf, plus some I never dreamed I
would be able to do such as sky diving, and hang gliding.
     In regards to the depression your dad can no doubt obtain
some relief by taking a serotonin uptake inhibitor such as Paxil
or Zoloft.  Seratonin has been found to be as deficient as
dopamine in Parkinson's patients.
     If you want more information on the Pallidotomy check the
archives on the Parkinson digest through this past summer or I
would be glad to send you further info.

     A very thankful recovered Parkinsonian,
     Don Berns <[log in to unmask]>